VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework. Owned by the non-profit organization VideoLAN. VLC Player plays anything. It is the go-to software for playing all types of media. Elmedia Player - Play AVI on Mac with best QuickTime player alternative Elmedia Player is a top choice for moderate to heavy multimedia users on Mac. QuickTime is a popular multimedia player.Developed by Apple, it can handle a wide range of picture, video, audio, and panoramic image formats. With a simple, clean, and interactive interface, QuickTime Player has become a leading choice among Mac users.
QuickTime Player is the Apple's default media software to help Mac users play video and audio files. As the Mac's built-in player, it comes bundled in with every release of Mac OS, including the latest macOS High Sierra. However, due to the limited formats support and features, QuickTime Player can easily be considered as an incompetent player.
QuickTime Player is the best player to play the QuickTime format (MOV) and MP4. While if you find out that the range of codecs is a little limited and not enough to suit your needs, it's time to try some QuickTime Player alternatives. And in this post, we will list 10 great programs like QuickTime Player For Windows and Mac to help you easily play any media file on your computer.
Best QuickTime Player alternative - Aiseesoft Blu-ray Player
- Mac users can try the following alternatives when the VLC media player isn’t working. QuickTime Player. QuickTime player, the best VLC alternative Mac, is the most familiar media players for Mac users. As the default movie player as Mac, QuickTime player is capable of supporting various formats of videos, music, images, and other media.
- BSPlayer for Mac OS X: Best alternatives Our editors hand-picked the best Mac alternatives to BSPlayer, go ahead and check them out, rate them, or add new ones you find fitting. QuickTime Player Free. QuickTime 10.0 was first demonstrated at WWDC (Apple Worldwide Developers Conference) in 2009.
Aiseesoft Blu-ray Player is the best alternative to QuickTime Player. If you want to play DVDs and Blu-rays on your Windows 10/8 or Mac, this powerful media playing software can easily do that for you. It highly supports any frequently-used video/audio format. Moreover, it can help you enjoy Blu-ray disc/folder/ISO file, DVD and other 4K UHD/HD/SD videos smoothly with fantastic visual experiment. In addition, it supports DTS-HD and Dolby True HD audio technology to give you home theater audio effects with the best enjoyment.
Step 1Load MKV files
Download and install Blu-ray Player. Click the button of 'Open File' and choose video file that you want to play.
Or you can click the 'File' from the menu and input your media file.
Or just drag the media file to Blu-ray Player.
Step 2 After loading your media files, you can use the buttons to control the playback.
Pause/Stop/Play: You can control the Play, Stop and Pause during playback by clicking the buttons.
Or you can right-click on the playing area, and choose to stop playing and play the video files from the controlling list. In addition, you can click 'Controls' from the menu to control the playing. Enjoy media files with this Blu-ray Player.
Windows QuickTime Player alternative - Free Media Player
Free Media Player can play any popular video and audio format like MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, FLV, MP3, FLAC, AAC, WAV, OGG and more on your computer. This makes it a good alternative to QuickTime Player. It is compatible with Windows 10/8/7/XP, so you can easily install and use it on your Windows PC. It supports video resolutions up to 4K UHD. You will get lossless image quality when playing 4K and 1080p HD videos with this Free Media Player. If you are looking for the QuickTime Player For Windows, it can be your first choice.
Flexible QuickTime Player alternative - VLC Media Player
Plenty of QuickTime Player alternatives out there on the internet, VLC Media Player is the very famous one. If you are not satisfied with QuickTime Player's codec limitation, you can use this marvelous VLC Media Player to replace it. It is compatible with almost all video and audio formats, and you don't need to download any codec. In addition, it is equipped with a playlist function to allow you to play different media files one after the other.
Free QuickTime Player alternative - GOM Player
GOM player is a completely free video player you can use instead of QuickTime Player for Windows. Similar to other recommended media players, the built-in codecs enable GOM Player to play any frequently-used video/audio format. What's more, GOM player can give you the perfect DVD playback function that sucks on QuickTime Player or Windows Media Player. If you are a Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista user, GOM player is a good alternative to QuickTime Player worth giving it a shot.
Excellent QuickTime Player alternative - KMPlayer
KMPlayer (KMP) is an excellent multi-media playback player, which can play different types of contained formats like MP4, MOV, MKV, RMVB, MXF, FLV and more. As a good QuickTime Player alternative, KMPlayer provides different versions separately for Windows, Mac and iOS/Android devices. It is compatible with any media file because KMP has its' own internal Codec. Supported Codec are separated by internal & external.
Mac QuickTime Player alternative - Free Mac Media Player
Free Mac Media Player is the perfect option when it comes to QuickTime Player for Mac. As the best free all-in-one media player for Mac users, you can free download it to watch any movie or TV shows on Mac smoothly with high quality video/audio effects. It is the Mac version of the Free Media Player. If you look forward to the best free QuickTime Player alternative on Mac, you really should give this player a try.
Useful QuickTime Player alternative - Final Media Player
Final Media Player is one of the most popular QuickTime Player alternatives for Windows users. It allows you to play more than 40 types of video formats like MP4, M4V, MKV, MOV, MPEG, MXF, RMVB, FLV, etc. Also, it can help you play 40+ audio formats, such as AAC, AIFF, FLAC, M4A, OGG, WMA, and so on. It can work on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1, both 32-bit and 64-bit.
Functional QuickTime Player alternative - SMPlayer
SMPlayer is a free media player for Windows and Linux with built-in codecs that can play virtually all video and audio formats on PC. So it is also a free alternative to QuickTime Player for Windows. You don't need to install any external codecs. Just install SMPlayer and you'll be able to play your media files without the hassle to find and install codec packs. What's more, it is designed with a feature to remember the settings of all files you play. So it can always resume the video/audio you play at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume and so on.
Perfect QuickTime Player alternative - DivX Player
DivX Player can be regarded as the perfect QuickTime Player alternative to play 4K ultra HD videos. For those users who are dissatisfied with QuickTime Player just because it cannot handle the high-quality video files well, DivX Player is a great choice. It highly supports 4K UHD videos. Maybe DivX Player is not an all-featured media player to play all video/audio files for you, but it does a great job in AVI, DIVX, MKV, MP4 high quality video playback. Moreover, this alternative to QuickTime Player enables you to stream video to devices that are DLNA compatible.
Popular QuickTime Player alternative - Miro
Miro is a popular and open-source media player which can download and play video/music files on your computer. This QuickTime Player alternative can play any video or music format and download videos from YouTube, podcasts, Amazon, and more. Moreover, it brings video channels from thousands of sources and has more free HD than any other platform. And it has a built-in video converter with tons of presets. You can also share your media files over your local network with your friends. You are even allowed to purchased music and apps in Miro.
Can't use QuickTime Player on your computer? Or QuickTime Player on Mac can't play your media files? Don't worry. In this article, we recommend 10 great alternatives to QuickTime Player. Whether you are looking for the suitable QuickTime Player for Windows or Mac, you can find your preferred QuickTime Player alternative in this article.
What do you think of this post?
Rating: 4.6 / 5 (based on 115 ratings)
December 16, 2020 17:00 / Updated by Jenny Ryan to Player
- How to Convert QuickTime Format to MP4
You can find several best QuickTime to MP4 Converter, online QuickTime to MP4 Converters and desktop QuickTime to MP4 Converters.
- Play WMV on Mac with Top 3 Flip4mac Alternatives
Want to play WMV on Mac? This article lists 3 great Flip4Mac WMV alternatives for you to freely play WMA/WMV on Mac.
- How to Download/Convert YouTube to MP3
Want to extract MP3 from YouTube videos? You can learn how to download/record YouTube to MP3 and convert YouTube to MP3 in this post.
Sometimes, you may need VLC alternatives because of the annoying 'Rebuilding Font Cache' thing or others. This post lists different VLC alternatives for Windows/Mac. Choose the best VLC alternative 2019 depends on your actual situation.
Quick Navigation :
Have you ever used VLC media player? This post is going to show you some excellent VLC alternatives for Windows/Linux/Mac. You can find a suitable VLC alternative 2019 to play video and audio files.
VLC is a free, open-source, portable, and cross-platform media player and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project. It is able to play incomplete, unfinished or damaged video, but it will drive you crazy sometimes.
For example, here is a true story.
I have been using VLC media player for a while and was pleased with it. Then I get a notice about an update, which I did. Now all I get is green lines over the movie. I have tried everything to solve the problem, installing the backup, uninstall and install, with no success. Everything worked great until this update. Does anybody have a solution to this? It is driving me crazy. Please help. Thank you.
In general, a VLC alternative can solve this problem easily. The below are some common problems you might encounter when using the VLC media player.
4 Reasons Why You Need a VLC Alternative
1. VLC is unable to play broken files.
Generally, VLC media player can play unfinished or damaged video. But, sometimes, it cannot play video file and tells you that the file is damaged. Actually, this file is just being downloaded.
2. VLC doesn’t support a few codes and file types.
VLC supports a lot of video and audio codes and formats, but it requires codec settings for a few formats. For many common people, it is a difficult job.
3. VLC crashes without warning.
Sometimes, VLC media player suddenly crashes when you watch some normal files, try to insert subtitle or make it full screen.
4. VLC media player will damage the speakers!
If you are using VLC media player and keep the volume loud for a long time, your speakers could be damaged. Sadly, some manufacturers like Dell say replacing the speakers will not be covered by the hardware warranty. Therefore, please keep the volume down while using VLC.
Now, it is time to look for VLC alternatives to play your video or audio files. No matter you have come across these problems or not, it is a good idea to prepare a suitable alternative to VLC.
You will find many people are searching for VLC alternatives on the Internet. Here, we list different alternatives to VLC media player for Windows/Mac/Linux. Read on and find out which one suits you best.
Part 1. VLC Alternatives 2019 for Windows
VLC is a free video editing software, you might need to look for a VLC alternative because of the unfriendly UI, “Rebuilding Font Cache” thing and other problems. Now, try the following alternatives to VLC media player for Windows.
No 1. Windows Movie Maker
There is no doubt that many people have probably heard of Windows Movie Maker, a video editing tool developed by Microsoft. It not only allows you to watch video, but also lets you edit this video simply, for instance, add text to video.
Related article: How to Add Text to Video in Windows Movie Maker (Step-by-Step Guide). Visual studio code reddit.
Now, some users might want to know where to get this tool since it was officially discontinued on January 10, 2017. Fortunately, you can get this Microsoft video editing tool by clicking the following button.
- It supports playing videos as well as pictures.
- It can edit your videos simply.
- It is able to share your videos on YouTube, Facebook, etc.
Related article: How to Use Movie Maker Step-by-step Guide for Beginners.
- Microsoft does not support it now.
- It cannot play music alone.
No 2. 5KPlayer
5KPlayer is a mixture of free (MKV) HD video player and music player. This real media player is compatible with Windows as well as Mac OS X. If your VLC crashes suddenly, you can try this alternative.
- It supports a lot of video formats, including MKV, M2TS, MPEG1/2, WMV/ASF, AVI, MOV, RM, OGV, FLV, MP4, H.264, M4V, WEBM.
- It can play 4K UHD videos without any glitches.
- It is able to play 1080p or 1080i high-definition videos under 10% CPU cost.
- It can play MP3 AAC APE FLAC music perfectly to activate your senses.
- It can download online videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc.
This alternative to VLC media player for Windows might be confusing for beginners.
No 3. Windows Media Player
Windows media player is another VLC alternative. It allows you to play video and audio files. Besides, it allows previewing images on personal computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system, as well as on Pocket PC and Windows Mobile-based devices.
- It provides a less cluttered user interface.
- It offers a better music library.
- It supports network sharing.
- It can access to online music services.
- It cannot handle 4K, 3D and 360-degree video.
- It doesn’t support for VR headsets.
No 4. Photos App
If you are running Windows 10, you have another great VLC alternative 2019 – Photo app. This Windows 10 hidden media player not only can play video but also can play images. Besides, it can help to trim video.
Related Article: How to Cut Video Easily and Quickly (The Definitive Guide).
- It can play videos quickly.
- It has a simple, touch-friendly interface.
- It also supports browsing photo, and is able to create albums automatically.
- It has cool video editing effects.
- It cannot tag faces.
- It doesn’t support panorama stitching and selective focus.
No 5. KMPlayer
KM player can play video as well as audio in Windows. This alternative to VLC supports almost any format that Windows can play including AVI, ASF, WMV, AVS, FLV, MKV, and many more. With the VLC alternative, you can slow down or increase playback speed, select parts of a video as favorites.
- It supports many audio and video formats.
- It supports 3D and VR and setting related to that.
- It has extensive subtitle management.
- It can capture audio and video.
Advertisement (There are no hidden or misleading clauses while installing, but we will be asked whether we want to install Avast Antivirus after installing.)
After learning these different VLC alternatives for Windows, you can take a look of the below wonderful video tool.
No 6. MiniTool Movie Maker
MiniTool Movie Maker, free and simple video tool, lets you review videos, and pictures. Besides, it also lets you create videos and slideshow easily and quickly. For instance, I usually use this simple and free tool to create Facebook Slideshow.
- It supports a lot of video format including WMV, MP4, AVI, MOV, F4V, MKV, GIF, MP3, and so on.
- It offers wizard-like interfaces. This tool can help you create a movie without requiring professional knowledge and skill.
- It offers movie as well as trailer templates. You are able to easily create cool movies or Hollywood-style movie trailers.
- It allows you to make video with pictures easily and quickly.
- It offers some filters to help you change the color, style, or tone in minutes.
- It offers plenty of useful transition effects to make the presentation, slideshow or movie good looking and impressive.
- It not only can split large video into small parts but also can trim video to remove the unwanted frames from the start or end of a clip. More details can be found in How to Trim Video Easily (Step-by-Step Guide with Pictures).
It only supports Windows OSs, now.
Part 2. VLC Alternative Mac
Mac users can try the following alternatives when the VLC media player isn’t working.
No 1. QuickTime Player
QuickTime player, the best VLC alternative Mac, is the most familiar media players for Mac users. As the default movie player as Mac, QuickTime player is capable of supporting various formats of videos, music, images, and other media files.
- QuickTime player enables you to set playback from 1/2x to 3x the normal speed.
- This alternative to VLC is capable of watching videos from hard drive and internet.
- This VLC alternative Mac allows you to screen recording your Mac, edit movies and extract audio from a video. However, you need to purchase the QuickTime Pro license key to unlock the recording, editing and extracting features.
Alternative To Quicktime Player For Mac
No 2. MPlayerX Media Player
MPlayerX, a free and open source media player, is another VLC alternative.
- It can handle any media format in the world without extra plug-ins or codec packages as it is armed by FFmpeg and MPlayer.
- It provides you the easiest way to control the playback as it will follow your gestures.
- It can automatically and seamlessly detect and convert the encoding method of the subtitle file.
No 3. Movist
Movist, a free, simple yet powerful player for Mac, supports QuickTime, FFmpeg as well as subtitles.
- It is easy to use.
- It owns a beautiful and convenient user interface.
- It is available to adjust aspect ratios and configure keyboard shortcuts.
Unfortunately, this VLC alternative Mac doesn't support Apple remote.
Part 3. VLC Alternative Linux
Let’s start with a true example from my best friend.
I've used VLC in Linux for years. But lately, it's been choking and dying for no discernible reasons and attempts to troubleshoot have failed. Are there any other comparable alternatives for media players out there at the moment?
Now, my friend can try the following VLC alternative Linux.
No 1. Bomi Player
The best VLC alternative Linux, Bomi player (known as CM Player), works well on Linux and provides GUI features.
- This easy-to-use VLC alternative Linux provides some powerful features which you will find in the context menu.
- It supports audio file and subtitle at all.
- It allows browsing your old playlist because it generally saves all your playback record.
Quicktime Player Update For Mac
No 2. SMPlayer
SMPlayer supports for all the default formats as like as other media players.
- This VLC alternative Linux allows you to play YouTube video directly from this player because of its built-in codec.
- This VLC alternative 2019 loads the subtitle of a movie from the internet. And, it saves your all settings when you play video.
- This alternative to VLC is fully resume supported video player.
The above video editing tools are good alternatives to VLC media player. You can choose a suitable one to play your videos.
Which VLC alternatives do you like to choose? Let us know by leaving comments.
Should you have any other good suggestions about VLC alternatives, please share them with us. Thanks in advance!
VLC Alternatives FAQ
- Media Player Classic – Home Cinema
- ACG Player
- GOM Media Player
- DivX Player
Download Quicktime 10 For Mac
- VLC Player
- Media Player Classic – Home Cinema