I know there are quite a few people here on Wealthy Affiliate who use Chromebooks and the Chrome OS operating system. Unless we are confident enough to use Linux on our Chromebooks the FTP client used and recommended by many people here on WA - FileZilla - is not available to us.
I've made use of browser based FTP clients on the odd occasion that I've needed FTP access. Notably when I couldn't remove all the files of an unwanted plugin from within my WordPress Dashboard.
I'm in need of a free FTP client for my Chromebook which runs Chrome OS (slightly obvious but these machines can, in theory, run Linux too). Can anyone recommend a reliable client? I've looked into FileZilla but it doesn't seem to be available on the Chrome OS platform yet.
- FileZilla is a registered trademark owned by Tim Kosse. FileZilla.software is an unofficial website and in no way associated with the developer(s). Any contents, resources found on our website purpots our own personal view.
- ColorZilla, one of the most popular Firefox developer extensions with over 5 million downloads is finally available for Chrome! With ColorZilla you can get a color reading from any point in your browser, quickly adjust this color and paste it into another program.
The browser based clients are fine but I worried about their security levels. But until this week I couldn't find an FTP client software for Chrome OS.
But then I found sFTP Client. It's available via the Chrome Web Store. It looks a lot like and works like FileZilla and is the perfect alternative for us Chrome OS users.
Most importantly, the support I've had from the guys at sFTP Client has been superb. A 5 Star service.
sFTP Client costs 1$ per month or 9.99$ for a one-off fee.
Technical Details of sFTP Client (from Chrome Web Store description)
With sFTP Client access your Local/Remote FTP server (including your NAS drive), local server, VPS, dedicated server, cloud server or shared hosting.
sFTP Client is all about simplicity, it has been built on the Google Chrome / Chrome OS packaged app interface allowing the app to be fast and responsive. Some of the functionality includes an FTP / SFTP Account Manager to store away and organise your most used and favourite FTP / SFTP connections allowing you to access them with a single click, File/Folder Queue to see your currently uploading/downloading items, powerful text editor (So you don't even need an extra program to modify your code), and much more..
- Standard FTP Connections
- SSH over File Transfer Protocol (sFTP) Connections
- Permission Key File (SSH Key - RSA) for SSH Connections
- FTP/SFTP Passive Mode
- Connect to Remote (External) & Local (Internal) FTP / SFTP / SSH servers.
- Change File / Folder Permissions (By Checkbox or Value: e.g. 777)
- Upload / Download Multiple Files & Folders
- Quick Connect
- Editor Options: Tabbed Files, Customisation
- Drag and Drop Files / Folders
- Manage FTP / SFTP / SSH Accounts (Stored using the Google Chrome Local storage with password encryption for security)
- Powerful Text Editor with Syntax Highlighting (Save, Autosave and Auto Upload Features)
- Keyboard Selection (Move up, down, into (Enter) and back out (Backspace) of directories, includes a search ability to quickly access files / folders by typing on your keyboard)
- Import Accounts: sFTP Client
- Export Accounts
- Rename & Delete Files
- Create New File / Directory
- Refresh Local and Remote Lists
- Sort and Resize Columns
- Multi-Select Files & Folders
- Browse Local & Remote Folders by Path
- Local Directory: Select default local directory per connection as suppose to globally
- Quick Account Menu (One-click to open FTP / SFTP / SSH account connection from your saved list)
- Multiple FTP / SFTP / SSH Account Connections (Tabbed with scroll if you have a lot of connections open)
- Close Connection (Disconnects from server and removes all activity)
- Console Log (Shows all FTP / SFTP / SSH activity log)
- Transfer Queue (Queued files and folders, failed files and folders, completed files and folders)
- New Google Sockets API
- Remote & Local Menus
- Connect and list UNIX and MS-DOS directories
- Copy URLs to Clipboard
- 10 Most Recent Connections
- KeepAlive Connection
- Master Password Login (Keep all your FTP connections safe with 1 login)
- Synchronised Browsing
Welcome to the homepage of FileZilla®, the free FTP solution. What is my system ip. The FileZilla Client not only supports FTP, but also FTP over TLS (FTPS) and SFTP. It is open source software distributed free of charge under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
We are also offering FileZilla Pro, with additional protocol support for WebDAV, Amazon S3, Backblaze B2, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Microsoft Azure Blob and File Storage, and Google Cloud Storage.
Last but not least, FileZilla Server is a free open source FTP and FTPS Server.
Support is available through our forums, the wiki and the bug and feature request trackers.
In addition, you will find documentation on how to compile FileZilla and nightly builds for multiple platforms in the development section.
Quick download links
Pick the client if you want to transfer files. Get the server if you want to make files available for others.
2021-05-04 - FileZilla Client 3.54.0-rc1 released
Bugfixes and minor changes:
- Refactored network activity handling, the activity indicators tooltips now display more accurate data
- Updated SFTP components
- Small performance improvement sorting very large directory listings
- Fixed a crash changing numeric permissions value in chmod dialog
2021-03-23 - FileZilla Client 3.53.1 released
Bugfixes and minor changes:
- Removed an error message on new installation where there is no sitemanager.xml yet
- Fixed SOCKS5 proxy support
Google Ftp Client
2021-03-15 - FileZilla Client 3.53.0 released
Filezilla For Chromebook Pro
Bugfixes and minor changes:
- HTTP: Handle servers sending early replies
2020-07-16 - FileZilla Pro Adds Support for Keystone V3, OneDrive Sharing, and Amazon STS
By adding support for the OpenStack Swift Keystone v3 identity service, OneDrive Sharing, and Amazon Secure Token Service (STS). FileZilla Pro is making it possible for its users to store and share files with greater versatility and security. Read the full news.
2019-11-07 - FileZilla Pro to continue work with bug bounty program
Filezilla Flagged As Malware
Building on success of participation in EU security project, FileZilla will continue participating and investing project resources in bug bounty program. Read the full news.
2019-07-29 - FileZilla refocuses on security after participation in EU bug bounty program
European Union-spondored 'bug bounty' program found some security issues which have promptly been fixed.
2019-07-09 - FileZilla Pro to add new features after recent customer survey
Filezilla For Chromebook Software
Read the full news.
Chromebook Ftp Server
The user interface mentioned in the article will also be available for users of the free FileZilla.