Open Library is an open, editable library catalog, building towards a web page for every book ever published. Read, borrow, and discover more than 3M books for free.
|M230 Chain Gun|
An M230 Chain Gun mounted on a US Army AH-64 Apache at the Berlin Air Show 2018.
|Place of origin||United States|
|Used by||United States, and other countries|
|Wars||Persian Gulf War|
War in Afghanistan
|Mass||59.5 kg (130 lb)|
|Length||2,181 mm (85.9 in)|
|Width||277.2 mm (10.9 in)|
|Height||288.8 mm (11.4 in)|
|Caliber||30 millimetres (1.18 in) caliber|
|Rate of fire||625±25rpm|
|Muzzle velocity||805 m/s (2,641 ft/s)|
|Effective firing range||1,500 m (1,640 yd)|
|Maximum firing range||4,000 m (4,370 yd)|
The M230 Chain Gun is a 30 mm (30×113 mm), single-barrel chain-drivenautocannon, using external electrical power (as opposed to recoil or expanding gas generated by the firing cartridge) to cycle the weapon between shots. It was designed and manufactured originally by Hughes Helicopters in Culver City, California. The company was acquired by McDonnell Douglas Helicopters in 1985, which merged into Boeing Corporation in 1997. In 2002, it was sold again to Alliant Techsystems, which merged with Orbital Sciences Corporation in 2015 to form Orbital ATK and was, in turn, bought out by Northrop Grumman in 2018. As of 2019, it is produced by Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems.
In 1972, Hughes Helicopters began a company-funded research effort to design a single machine gun to fire the U.S. Army's M50 20 mm round. By April 1973, the program had fired test rounds in more powerful 30 mm WECOM linked ammunition, from a prototype (A model). In January 1975 a model 'C' was added, a linkless version for the proposed Advanced Attack Helicopter YAH-64; the helicopter was eventually adopted as the AH-64 Apache, with the model C as standard armament. The linked ammunition version was intended for use on the AH-1S Cobra as the M230E1, but was later dropped.
Pdf Free Download For Windows 7
Apache and DAP mounts
- Download adobe pdf reader for free. Office Tools downloads - Adobe Reader by Adobe Systems Incorporated and many more programs are available for instant and free download.
- Download PDF (File Size: 83.38 MB) “Air Gunner – October 2020” download free pdf magazine by clicking the link above – worldofmagazine.com All the content is for demonstration only, we do not store the files and after reading you we ask you to buy a printed version of the magazine.
The M230 Chain Gun is the 'Area Weapon System' on the Boeing AH-64 Apacheattack helicopter and is also used on the MH-60L Direct Action Penetrator (DAP). The M230 is mounted on the chin turret. It uses a 2 hp (1.5 kW) electric motor to fire 30 mm (1.2 in) linkless ammunition at a rate of 625±25 rounds per minute. The practical rate of fire is about 300 rounds per minute with a 10-minute cooling period as the gun is air cooled. The gun has a positive cook-off safety for open bolt clearing, and double ram prevention. Spent casings are ejected overboard through the bottom of the gun.
The mount on the AH-64 uses secondary hydraulics to move the gun. The elevation is provided via a single hydraulic actuator located on the gun's centerline just forward of the pivot point. The gun is spring-loaded to return to its centerline stowed position with the barrel angled up about eleven degrees in the event of a loss of hydraulic power. This allows the gun, which is mounted below the copilot station, to collapse cleanly into its designed space between the pilot stations in the event of a hard landing. This prevents the gun from entering the pilot's stations and becoming a hazard.
The Apache is capable of carrying up to 1,200 rounds for the gun in a device known as the 12-PAK, designed and manufactured by Meggitt Defense Systems, Inc. However, utilization by the US Army of a special internal fuel tank, the Robertson IAFS (known as the 'Robby Tank' to the crews), reduces this capacity to 300 rounds. The ammunition is loaded into the AH-64D Longbow Apache by armament personnel using an aircraft-mounted motorized loader and special ammunition handling tray. The AH-64A requires specialized ground support equipment for loading.
The M230 is capable of firing the 30×113mm rounds used in the ADEN cannon and DEFA cannon, however, the Lightweight 30 mm rounds (M788, M789, M799) used in the M230 are constructed with a light alloy as opposed to brass (ADEN) or steel (DEFA) cases to save weight and are in use with the US Army. Gold diggers pdf free download torrent. The M230 rounds are not backwards compatible with weapons designed for the ADEN or DEFA rounds. The M788 rounds can be distinguished by the blue band near the nose, the M789 by a yellow stripe atop a black band and the M799 a red stripe atop a yellow band. The M799 HEI round is not used by the US Army due to the danger of a round exploding in the gun barrel. The 30 mm M789 High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) ammunition cartridge is the primary tactical round of the Apache AH-64 helicopter, widely used in current combat operations. The Apache's ability to provide accurate air support with minimal collateral damage led to increased use and volume demands for M789 ammunition.
Gunner Pdf Free Download Windows 7
The M789 is typically used in the M230. Each round contains 21.5 g (0.76 oz) of explosive charge sealed in a shaped-charge liner. The liner collapses into an armor-piercing jet of metal that is capable of penetrating 1 in (25 mm) of rolled homogeneous armour at 500m. Additionally, the shell is also designed to fragment upon impact. The lethal radius against unprotected, standing targets is about 5 ft (1.5 m) under optimum conditions.
US Navy course - Gunner's Mate 1 & C NAVEDTRA 14110abbyy.gz download 18.4M US Navy course - Gunner's Mate 3 & 2 NAVEDTRA 14109abbyy.gz download. Ww2 Anti Aircraft Gunner 3d free download - Anti Tracks, Anti Mosquito Software, Yahoo Toolbar with Anti Spyware, and many more programs.
Gunner Pdf Free Download 64 Bit
M230LF and MAWS
The M230LF, offered by Orbital ATK, is a more capable version of the Apache autocannon. Features include an anti-hangfire system, a delinking feeder that exploits linked ammunition, and an extended-length barrel, which results in greater muzzle velocity and hitting power from the same M789 HEDP and NATO standard 30 mm ADEN/DEFA projectiles. The rate of fire is reduced to 200 rounds/minute and overall length decreased to 84.0 inches (213 cm). The chain gun can be installed in an enclosed turret on patrol boats and ground vehicles.
The MAWS (Modular Advanced Weapon System) lightweight gun system, developed in partnership with the U.S. Navy, utilizes a remotely operated M230LF in an open mount. It is controlled by a Remote Operator's Console (ROC)—with either dual grips or a joystick—from a touch panel display and extended day color TV.
In February 2015, Oshkosh Defense and ATK conducted a firing demonstration of the M230LF on an Oshkosh M-ATVMRAP to demonstrate the viability and effectiveness of a medium caliber weapon system for light tactical vehicles. The live fire demonstration showcased improved accuracy in mobile engagements and improved lethality on the M-ATV using the gun, mounted on the R400S-Mk2, a 3-axis stabilized remote weapon station weighing less than 400 kg (880 lb). The addition of the 72.6 kg (160 lb) M230LF stabilized on the RWS provides mobile precise lethality, usually reserved for heavier combat vehicles, with exceptional off-road mobility and MRAP levels of protection[clarification needed]. Oshkosh has also fitted the M230LF to the L-ATV to fulfil the U.S. Army's light reconnaissance vehicle (LRV) role.
Pdf Reader Free Download
- Sikorsky MH-60L Direct Action Penetrator (DAP)
- ^ abcdefChinn, George M., 1987, pp. 453–454.
- ^ abcdef'Trademark Assignment Abstract of Title'. United States Patent and Trademark Office. 12 November 2018. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- ^ abcdef'Northrop Grumman M230 30mm chain gun fact sheet'(PDF). 2018. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- ^Lee, T.W. (30 December 2008). Military Technologies of the World. ABC-CLIO. p. 118. ISBN978-0-275-99536-2.
- ^'M230 Chain Gun'. www.deagel.com. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- ^Richardson & Peacock, 1992, pp. 38–40.
- ^'M230 Automatic Gun'. globalsecurity.org. 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- ^'Robertson Aviation: Apache'. Archived from the original on April 20, 2009. Retrieved 30 September 2011.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- ^'New Boeing Apache Ammunition Loading System Enters Service – December 15, 1998'. boeing.mediaroom.com. 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- ^'30mm Cannon Ammunition'. Federation of American Scientists. 8 January 1999. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- ^Williams, Anthony G. (July 2010). 'Military Cartridge Relationships'. Military Guns & Ammunition. Archived from the original on 25 October 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- ^'Northrop Grumman 30mm M230LF Chain Gun'(PDF). 2018. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- ^http://www.atk.com/Products/documents/108776_07_MAWS.PDFArchived November 4, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- ^'Mk 51 MAWS'(PDF). National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA): Joint Armaments Conference, Exhibition & Firing Demonstration. May 2010. Archived from the original(PDF) on 21 February 2015. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- ^Oshkosh, Orbital ATK, EOS unveiled strong integration capabilities during live fire demonstration - Armyrecognition.com, 19 February 2015
- ^Gun Truck: Oshkosh Unveils 30mm Chaingun JLTV For Army Recon - Breakingdefense.com, 9 September 2016
- Richardson, Doug & Peacock, Lindsay (1992). Combat Aircraft: AH-64 Apache. London: Salamander Books. ISBN0-86101-675-0.
- Chinn, George M. (Lt.Col., USMC, Retd), ed. (1987). The Machine Gun: History, Evolution, and Development of Manual, Automatic, and Airborne Repeating Weapons(PDF). Vol. V. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Edward Brothers Publishing Co. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
volume=has extra text (help)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to M230 Chain Gun.|
Gunner Pdf Free Download Windows 10
- Ensured the safety of the American people.
- Managed and maintained multimillion dollar weapon systems and trained Marines and Iraqi's on how to keep their weapons up and also how to employ them on the combat field.
- Responsible for the tactical employment of the 7.62 mm medium machine-gun, the 50 cal., and 40mm heavy machine-gun, and their support vehicle.
- Provided direct fire in support of the rifle and LAR squads/platoons/companies and the infantry and LAF: battalions.
- Located in the weapons platoons of the rifle and LAR companies and the weapons company of the infantry battalion.
- Patrolled in Iraq guarding over the people from insurgents and attacks.
- Involved in securing Government buildings and setting up the floor planes.