- Method 1: Erase SD Card by Fully Formatting SD Card Formatting can erase SD Card easily, this is one of the most common ways to clean any sort of storage devices. Let’s have a look how to clear an SD card by formatting.
- How to clear an SD card on a Mac. Insert the SD card into your computer's SD card slot. If your Mac doesn't have an SD card slot, you'll need to use a USB adapter or card reader that has an SD.
- If your memory card is inserted correctly, it will appear as a little rectangle on the screen. The contents of the memory card will appear once it is selected. It may take a few seconds depending on how full it is. All the data on that PS2 memory card will pop up in rows. Skip this step if the console recognized the card.
Updated on November 9th, 2020
In this article you can learn 3 methods to clear an SD card on Windows 10/8/7/XP, after which all data on SD card will be permanently erased. Wiping an SD card helps protect privacy as well as repair card errors.
SD (Secure Digital) card is a tiny flash memory card which is mainly designed for high-capacity memory and all kinds of digital devices, for example smartphone, digital cameras, music players, navigation systems, e-books, video camcorders, etc.
Put the SD card in the SD slot on the PC or, if it doesn’t have one, use a USB card reader. Note the drive letter for the SD card – in this example, we’re going to assume it’s “F,” so wherever you see “F” below, replace it with the drive letter for your SD card. Choose Run, then type “cmd”. Install CleanMyDrive 2 (it will settle in your menu bar for easy access). Click on the CleanMyDrive 2 icon in your menu bar. You’ll see all connected drives, including your SD card. Hit the Clean button next to your card.
For the moment, SD card has three physical sizes and we can classify them into full-size SD card, miniSD card and microSD card. Full-size SD card is the original format of SD memory card, it comes with the size of 32mm x 24mm x 2.1mm. MiniSD card and MicroSD card, firstly introduced in 2003 and 2005 separately, are much smaller then original sized SD card. They can be put into adapters or fill-size clots, so that they can be recognized by devices. A miniSD card is sized in 21.5mm x 20mm x 1.4mm, and microSD card is 15mm x 11mm x 1.0mm. Afterward, SDHC card and SDXC card were released, which raised the maximum capacity to 2TB.
SD card provides large capacity and brings convenience to users. You can add an SD card to your phone so that you can save more photos, videos or music, etc. Memory card is very portable and can be connected to computer to exchange or backup data when necessary. As we can see, SD card is a solid piece and does not contain any moving parts. Thus some manufacturer claims SD card is so durable that it can resist the crushing weight of 1.6 metric tons without getting damaged.
When you purchase or choose SD card, you should be aware that SD card offer different speeds and you should choose one memory card with required speed. Usually we classify SD card into four speed classes, i.e. 10, 6, 4 and 2. 10 is the fastest and 2 is the slowest. You can see the speed number or even detailed speed on card body, for example 15 MB/s.
There are many reasons you want to clear an SD card, for example, erase data, repair errors, etc. In this section, we summarize common scenarios when you want to wipe an SD card.
- Get space to store data. SD card can be used to store various data and your SD card might contain files or folders which are hidden. You cannot see those on computer or digital devices. If you want to make use of all space on the SD card, you can empty it and erase all data on it.
- Remove virus or malware. SD card is used on multiple devices and it is easy to infect virus during data transferring or connecting to the Internet. The most thorough way to kill virus or malware is wiping SD card.
- Repair errors. SD card may get errors such as The disk is write protected or Windows was unable to complete the format. You can try wiping SD card to get problem solved.
- Protect personal information. You may want to give or sell your SD card to someone you do not know, but you do not want them to have the chance to know what have been stored on the SD card. As we all know, data recovery software can easily get back deleted or formatted data. Thus you should erase all recoverable files so that they cannot be recovered.
This part presents three methods to empty an SD card and you can choose any one of them to clean an SD card. These approaches delete all data on selected storage device and you should make sure all files have been backed up before trying these methods.
First and foremost, you should take the SD card out of the device which is using it and insert the SD card to a card reader or the SD card slot on your laptop, so that it can be recognized by Windows. MicroSD card can be put into SD adapter of SD card and then connected to PC.
Method 1: Erase an SD card by fully formatting SD card on Windows
Clean Sd Card Contacts
Step 1: Click Start button from taskbar and select Computer, or double Computer (This PC on Windows) to open File Explorer.
Step 2: Locate the drive presenting SD card, right-click it and select “Format” from the drop-down menu.
Step 3: Select file system format you need and unselect “Quick Format” option.
Step 4: Click “Start” button and Windows starts clear the SD card.
- This process is full format and takes some time, please wait with patience.
- Such formatting method erases data permanently and you cannot perform data recovery anymore.
- Please make sure you are formatting correct SD card, or you’ll get data loss issue.
- You can also fully format SD card or other devices in Disk Management.
Method 2: Wipe an SD card using PartitionGuru
PartitionGuru is great data recovery, partition management and data backup tool for Windows 10/8/7/XP, and it provides functions to wipe SD card, HDD, SSD and other media permanently. The free version of PartitionGuru is used here to wipe an SD card.
Step 1: Launch PartitionGuru, select the SD card you want to wipe. Then click Tools menu and select Erase Sectors.
Step 2: Make sure you selected correct disk to erase data, and click “Erase” button. Also, you can choose how to fill sectors, such as wipe data with zero or random data.
Step 3: PartitionGuru prompts the process will permanently wipe data. Click Erase button to continue.
Step 4: Wait the process to complete.
Method 3: Use DiskPart in Command Prompt to clean SD card
This method is complex when compared with previous methods. If you are skilled in computer operations, you can have a try of this.
Step 1: Open Disk Management (Right-click Computer ->Manage -> Disk Management). The look for the SD card you want to clean and remember its disk number on your computer, for example Disk 1.
Step 2: Right-click Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” to open command prompt window. If you are using Windows 7, click Start button and type cmd in searching box, and then right-click “cmd.exe” from searching result and click “Run as administrator”
Step 3: Type diskpart and press Enter key in Command Prompt.
Step 4: Type command list disk and press Enter. This command lists all disks on your computer.
Step 5: Type Select disk # (replace # with the disk number of SD card you see in Disk Management). Note: in following commands Diskpart will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive, thus please make sure corrected disk is selected here.
Step 6: Type clean and hit Enter key.
Step 7: Close Command Prompt when you see message “DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk”.
This guide gives three solutions to clear an SD card, and you can choose any of them to completely and securely erase an SD card. Wiping an SD card makes data on the memory card no longer recoverable, you should make sure important files have been backed up in advance. If you have any questions or better solutions, please feel free to contact us.
Updated on November 6th, 2020
This post will show you how to remove partitions from SD card, USB flash drive, pen stick, etc. via Disk Management, free partition manager software and Diskpart command line. You can choose one of these methods to delete partition from storage media.
Deleting partition from storage media is common operation we can do in daily lives, which is not true of SD card. We often format SD card or clear an SD card, but we seldom delete partition from SD card or USB drives, as the partition management on SD card is not as easy as on hard drive. Anyway, users still want to remove partition on SD card or flash drive for some reasons.
- There is more than one partition on your SD card, but you can make use of space on the first partition. Thus you’ll want to delete extra partitions to reclaim all space on the card.
- You want to repartition the SD card, before which all partitions should be deleted.
- To get rid of damaged partition on SD card. Your SD card may go wrong and cannot be accessed properly, or it cannot be formatted due to write-protection. In that case, you can try removing corrupt or damaged partition to repair it.
- To erase virus or malware from storage media. Removing partition means deletion of all data together with the partition, which is able to wipe unknown virus on the partition.
There are various methods available to remove partition from SD card, and you can choose the easiest one to complete the task. Before we start, you should connect your SD card to computer and make it recognized. Turn off the digital device that uses the SD card and take the memory card out; then insert the SD card into a card reader on a computer. After that, you can see the memory card in File Explorer. One thing you should be awared: deleting partition process also deleted all data on that partition, you should back up important data in advanced, or you’ll have to perform partition recovery.
If you try to delete partition from SD card or flash drive using Windows 8/7/XP Disk Management, you will find the “Delete Volume” option is dimed out. That’s because Disk Management in those versions of Windows does not well support manage partitions on removable devices. However, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update removes this limit, and it becomes able to delete partitions on SD card, pen stick, USB drive, flash memory, etc. and File Explorer is able to display all partitions on these devices. Let’s see how it works:
Step 1: Open Windows 10 Disk Management by right-clicking Start menu and selecting Disk Management.
Step 2: Locate the SD card and its partition in Disk Management. Then right-click on the partition you want to delete and select “Delete Volume” option.
Step 3: Click “Yes” button when you see message “Deleting this volume will erase all data on it. Back up any data you want to keep before deleting. Do you want to continue?”
Step 4: When the partition is deleted, you can see disk space becomes unallocated.
PartitionGuru is free Windows disk partition management software with various features that you can complete manage disks and partitions on your computer, as well as recover lost files and partitions. For example, you can resize SD card partition, clear SD card, create ext4 partition, recover deleted files, manage virtual disks, check and repair bad sectors, etc. It’s much easier to delete SD card partition with PartitionGuru Free or Pro version, just follow steps here to delete any volume.
Step 1: Install and launch PartitionGuru from Windows computer. This partition manager is compatible with all versions of Windows systems, such as Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP, Windows server, Windows PE, Dos, etc.
Step 2: Select the partition to be deleted on SD card and click “Delete” button from toolbar. Click “Yes” button to confirm the deletion operation.
Note: Once the partition is deleted, you’ll lose all data on it. Be sure files on the partition have been backed up to elsewhere on your computer.
Step 3: Click “Save All” button from toolbar and click “Yes” to confirm the action. This move is to save the change you make to partition table.
Diskpart is a command-line disk partitioning utility included in Windows system since Windows 2000. It is able to delete partition, create partition, format partition, clear disk, partition disk, etc. in Windows 10/8/7. In this section, we can use this tool to remove partition on flash drive, memory card, hard drive, etc.
Step 1: Launch Command Prompt. Click Start menu and enter cmd in searching box; then you can right-click cmd.exe from searching result, and click Run as administrator.
Step 2: In Command Prompt window, type diskpart and hit Enter key. Then type following commands and press Enter key after each command.
Step 3: If you want to delete other partition, then repeat command above. Then close Command Prompt.
How To Clean Sd Card Storage
This article presents three methods to remove partitions from SD card or USB drive, and they can also be used to delete partitions on hard drive, external hard drive, etc. You should be noted that, all these deletion actions cause partition loss and data loss, data backup should be done before deletion.